The Royal Exchange
5 colour screen print, Heritage White 315 gsm,
50.8 x 68.6 cm, edition of 50, £120.
The Royal Exchange was first built in 1565 as a place where merchants and tradesman could do business. The grasshopper which can be seen on the weathervane comes from the Gresham family crest who petitioned for the trade centre. The first building was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. The second also burnt down and the third which stands today was designed by Sir William Tite and was opened by Queen Victoria in 1844.
Copyright © All Rights Reserved